The collection includes materials documenting the work of the Jewish Peace Fellowship in supporting Jewish resistance to conscription and subsequent draft, opposition to arms race, Israeli politics on the disputed territories, and American armed interventions and consists of by-laws, correspondence, financial statements, individual files of Jewish conscientious objectors, lists, membership information, manuscripts and other materials intended for publication in JFP’s publications, minutes, questionnaires, printed materials, such as mailings, leaflets, and magazines, and reports.
A finding aid is like a book jacket outlining an archivist's painstaking work organizing and describing historical records to let you know what is inside a collection. A finding aid serves two purposes: to provide context with the historical background of original materials, and to provide a table of contents for the collection.
What is a finding aid? A finding aid is a document that explains...
- What is in the collection
- Who created the collection
- Who has owned the collection
- How to use the collection
- Where to look for materials within the collection
AJHS Finding Aids
The Leon Kronish Papers incorporate the personal and professional papers of Rabbi Leon Kronish with the organizational records of Temple Beth Sholom in Miami Beach, Florida, where he served as spiritual leader for over fifty years. Included are sermons, correspondence, memorandums, newsletters, worship service manuals, programs, pamphlets, greeting cards, administrative records, financial records, notes, clippings, scrapbooks, photographs, and sound recordings.
The Hebrew National Orphan Home Alumni Association Records document the activities from the establishment of the association in 1925 until its demise 2011. The records consist primarily of the Association's newsletter, The Alumnus, programs of reunion events, meeting minutes of both the general meetings and the association advisory board, newspaper and magazine clippings, oral histories on audiocassettes and videotapes, alumni writings, scrapbooks, correspondence, and a few photographs.
Personal collection of Soviet Jewry Movement activist Meta Joy Jacoby who chaired the Soviet Jewry Committee of the Main Line Reform Temple, Beth Elohim in Wynnewood, PA. The Committee provided moral support to Soviet Jewish families through the mailing of letters and telegrams, placing phone calls, and sending Jewish cultural materials to the Soviet Union. Meta Joy Jacoby repeatedly traveled to the Soviet Union to meet with and deliver aid to the Refuseniks. The collection includes memos, correspondence, newsletters, brochures, and clippings.
Personal papers of the Soviet Jewry Movement activist Rabbi Barry Marks, a spiritual leader of Temple Israel of Springfield, IL and a founder of the Greater Springfield Interfaith Association. The collection reflects Rabbi Marks' and the Springfield, IL Jewish community's involvement in the Soviet Jewry movement. The materials include clippings, correspondence, memoranda, newsletters, and speeches.
Personal papers of Soviet Jewry Movement activists Harold and Judith S. Einhorn. Residents of Laverock, PA, husband and wife Harold and Judith S. Einhorn were among the pioneers of the grassroots Soviet Jewry movement. Harold Einhorn chaired the Temple Beth Tikvah Community Relations Committee and Judith S. Einhorn chaired the Soviet Jewry Committee at Congregation Adath Jeshurun.
The Grand Street Boys' Association began in 1916 as a reunion of men who had grown up on or near Grand Street in the Lower East Side neighborhood of Manhattan and quickly grew into an active club, open to all men (and eventually women) regardless of religion, ethnicity, or social class. The Association promoted welfare projects, acts of fellowship and tolerance, scholarships, youth employment, war efforts, and the elimination of discrimination in sports, among other projects. The collection documents the activities of the Association, as well as the Grand Street Boys' Foundation, its financial arm established in 1945, and its Hobbycraft Program, a charitable program tasked with collecting and redistributing donated items to charitable and nonprofit organizations. Materials include administrative records, financial records, correspondence, minutes, membership records, newsletters, yearbooks, artifacts, and photographs.
The collection contains the records of the Union of Councils for Soviet Jews (UCSJ), an umbrella institution for approximately 50 grassroots organizations active in the movement to free Soviert Jews. The records documenting the UCSJ's operations, programs, and campaigns relate primarily to the 1980's, when the rescue movement reached its pinnacle of success and international attention, and to the 1990's, reflecting UCSJ's work on behalf of human rights after the collapse of the Soviet Union. The records include materials of UCSJ individual councils; materials by the Soviet Jewry Legal Advocacy Center, an affiliate of UCSJ; and a large volume of case files of Prisoners of Conscience, Refuseniks, and Soviet Jews who were allowed to emigrate to the West.
The Solender Family Papers document the professional achievements and to a lesser extent, the personal lives, of the members of the Solender family. The Solender family has been influential in the field of Jewish Communal Services since the 1930s. Family members that are most prominently represented in the collection include Samuel Solender (1890-1961), his son Sanford Solender (1914-2003), and his grandson Stephen Solender (1938- ).
From its inception in 1961, the National Foundation for Jewish Culture (later known as the Foundation for Jewish Culture) supported Jewish scholarship, art, and community services. The collection primarily covers the period between 1959, when the original study proposing the creation of the NFJC was conducted by the Council of Jewish Federations and Welfare Funds (CJFWF) and 2015, when the Foundation ceased operations. The materials document organization’s support for Jewish scholarship, art, culture, and its work in strengthening the relationships between cultural institutions and local Jewish communities. The collection also documents the organization’s shift in the 1980s from scholarship to more involvement in Jewish arts and culture.
Samuel Moshcovitz was born in Russia in 1907 and immigrated to the United States, where he attended college and became an accountant. He was active in several Jewish organizations, including Brandeis University and Beth Israel Hospital, until his death in 1993. The collection contains a collection of sheet music from the early to mid-twentieth century, along with correspondence from lawmakers in response to letters from Moshcovitz regarding United States policy in the Middle East. Another folder relates to copies of a commencement address delivered by Senator Daniel Inouye and distributed by Moshcovitz to lawmakers and Jewish and news organizations.
The Harry R. Rosen Community Building Consultants Records consist of photographs, research, and administrative documentation by and for the dozens of Jewish Community Centers (JCCs) in the United States, Canada, and Israel that Harry R. Rosen and his firm helped develop from the 1970s to the early 2000s.
Rabbi Ber Boruchoff was the first and longest serving rabbi for Congregation Beth Israel in Malden, Massachusetts. This collection contains ledgers with records of marriages performed in the Greater Boston area during the years 1906-1938, as well as some photographs and biographical information.
Founded in 1846, the United Order of True Sisters originated in New York with the intent of increasing philanthropy and providing an outlet for women. In 1947, the United Order of True Sisters Cancer Services was founded to raise funds to support oncology centers. The material in this collection includes event programs, a certificate of life membership, and the correspondence of Sylvia Shapiro, vice-president of the UOTS.
The Jewish Federation of the North Shore was founded in 1938 in Lynn, Massachusetts with the objective to support organizations that helped enrich the Jewish community on the North Shore and abroad. After a period of declining donations and to consolidate services, the JFNS Board of Directors voted to merge the organization with the Combined Jewish Philanthropies in 2013. The collection contains correspondence, newspaper clippings and publications from JFNS, as well as a large group of photographs and documents produced for the Board of Directors in the early 21st century.
Morton Shanok was Cantor at Temple Beth El in Lynn (and later Swampscott) for thirty-two years and, after his retirement, High Holiday Cantor at Temple B’nai Abraham and Religious Cultural Coordinator at the Jewish Rehabilitation Center for Aged. He served in the U.S. Army as assistant army chaplain from 1942-1945. He was a founding member of the Cantors Assembly and helped write the curriculum at the H.L. Miller Cantorial School and College of Jewish Music of the Jewish Theological Seminary. The material in the collection consists of photographs, correspondence, and documents primarily related to music and Cantor Shanok’s position at Temple Beth El.
Temple B’nai Abraham is a Conservative congregation, originally founded in Beverly, Massachusetts in 1908 as the Sons of Abraham. The Hebrew Community Center was annexed to the synagogue in 1930 and incorporated social groups, such as the Sisterhood and the Beverly Lodge of B’nai B’rith. The congregation expanded to a new location in 1962 and officially changed their name to Temple B’nai Abraham. The collection was formed by a former president of the Sisterhood and contains Temple B’nai Abraham programs and announcements, Sisterhood newsletters, and photographs.
The Jewish Rehabilitation Center for Aged of the North Shore (JRC) was founded in 1945 as a convalescent home for the elderly in the North Shore Jewish community. Over the years, the organization expanded and became a permanent residence for the elderly, and with the opening of its assisted living facility in Peabody, the JRC became the largest not-for-profit home for the elderly on the North Shore. The collection contains programs for meetings and events, as well as a small group of photographs and newspaper clippings.
The Hebrew Free Loan Society was organized in 1912 to assist those in need of temporary financial relief. Formed in the wake of increasing immigration from Eastern Europe and the proliferation of urban poverty, the Society also became a constituent of the Federation of Jewish Charities. These records document the Society’s major operations and include administrative articles, in meeting minutes, and financial reports and statements.
Temple Beth El was founded in Lynn in 1924. In 1946, members of the congregation split off to form Temple Israel, and in 1968, Temple Beth El expanded from its Lynn location to Swampscott. The two temples reunited in 2005 to become Congregation Shirat Hiyam. This collection contains documents related to many areas of synagogue life, including general membership, the music program, the Religious School, temple governance, and the Sisterhood.
Joseph Glick and Annie Cooperstein emigrated from Russia in the early 1900s and married in Boston in 1898. They had eleven children, and upon Joseph’s death, their son James became administrator of Joseph’s estate. The material in the collection primarily documents James’s disposal of his father’s estate, while also including a family tree and copy of Joseph and Annie’s wedding invitation.
Mildred Minnie Fishman was born Sarah Minnie Greenberg in Leeds, England in 1896 to Isaac and Ethel Greenberg. The family immigrated to Chelsea, Massachusetts in 1922, and in 1939, Mildred married Maurice Fishman and became a naturalized citizen of the United States. She died in 1995, and the bulk of this collection contains documents related to her end-of-life arrangements, including estate planning, burial arrangements, and will execution. The collection also contains vital and immigration records for Mildred, Maurice Fishman, and Isaac Greenberg.
The Shevitz and Feldman families were first-generation immigrants from Russia who settled in Worcester, Massachusetts in the early 20th century. Wolf Shevitz changed his name to William Marcus upon enlisting in the United States Army and married Minnie Feldman after his discharge. The collection contains William’s service and naturalization records, correspondence between William and Minnie while William was serving in World War I, photographs of the Feldman and Marcus families, and a series of family histories.
The National Council of Jewish Women (NCJW), Greater Boston Evening Branch was established as a section of the larger national organization in 1981. Originally called the Moonlighters of Greater Boston, the group went through a period as the Young Women’s Branch, before becoming the Evening Branch. The collection contains an incomplete run of newsletters from the section’s beginnings through 1993, as well as member correspondence, such as announcements and invitations. The collection as includes notes and minutes from some of the Young Women’s and Evening Branch board meetings.
The B’nai B’rith Peabody Lodge No. 2765 was founded in 1969 as a local chapter of the larger B’nai B’rith International, which advocates for the Jewish people and works to combat anti-Semitism. The Peabody Lodge engaged in a variety of service and charitable activities in the Peabody area. This collection contains awards, correspondence, photographs, a scrapbook, and other miscellaneous materials.
The collection contains papers of the Scheinfeldt and Calish families with the bulk of the materials chronicling the achievements and nursing career of Jean Scheinfeldt, the daughter of Joseph Henry and Florence Calish Scheinfeldt. The materials in this collection include birth and death certificates, a marriage certificate, other certificates and awards, ephemera, photographs, and artifacts.
The New England Zionist Region is a regional branch of the Zionist Organization of America. The group was originally based in Boston and was associated with prominent leaders in the Zionist movement, including Louis Brandeis and Elihu Stone. The collection primarily consists of photographs taken at events hosted by the branch, including annual conventions and banquets honoring Drs. Chaim Weizmann and Albert Einstein, and Nahum Sokolow. The collection also contains a small group of documents and objects related to member events.
This collection contains a range of materials documenting the Jewish community of Lynn, Massachusetts. Included are materials from Jewish-owned businesses, Jewish individuals and families, and Jewish organizations in Lynn.
This collection contains a range of materials documenting the Jewish community of Peabody, Mass. Included are materials on Jewish-owned businesses, Jewish individuals and families, and Jewish organizations in Peabody. The collection was established by the Jewish Heritage Center of the North Shore through many separate donations of materials relating to Peabody’s Jewish community.
The B’nai B’rith Swampscott-Marblehead Chapter No. 847 is a local chapter of B’nai B’rith International, an organization founded in 1843 that advocates for the Jewish people and the State of Israel and works to combat anti-Semitism. This collection contains a program for an installation and dinner as well as the chapter’s newsletters.
The Max C. Rosenfeld Foundation is an organization that grants non-interest loans to young Jewish women in the Greater Boston Area who need financial help in receiving an education or vocation. This collection includes administrative records of the Foundation, including Board of Trustees meeting minutes and Max Rosenfeld's will, in which he detailed the purpose and establishment of the Foundation, as well as materials relating to the application process and recipients of loans. Many items are restricted.
In the late 19th- and early 20th-centuries, Brockton, Massachusetts was an industrial center that drew Jewish artisans and laborers to the city. They formed an organization known as the Labor League. This collection contains ledger books with member names and financial records.