HIAS Timeline Note 1890

HIAS Timeline Note 1890

Circa 1890: The Woman’s Auxiliary is founded by Rose N. Lesser. An auxiliary organization of the Hebrew Sheltering House Association, it was renamed “the Rose N. Lesser Auxiliary,” after its founder’s death in 1908. Sometime between 1939 and 1949, it was renamed “the Abraham Herman Chapter.” In 1949, all of the women's groups within HIAS merged to form the HIAS Women's Division, and in 1954, after the merger with United Service for New Americans (USNA), the National Women's Division is newly established to oversee all of the women's groups in HIAS branch offices in the U.S.