Photographs & Media
The General Photographs Collection was assembled by library and archives staff and organized into two series:
The People series contains primarily black-and-white photographic prints and copy prints—both studio portraits and snapshots—of prominent Jewish men and women from the 1890s-1980s. There are also photographic prints of portrait paintings, miniature paintings, drawings, silhouettes, and reproductions of lithographs and etchings. The collection contains a few color photographic prints.
The Subjects series contains black-and-white photographic prints of various subjects relating to Jewish American history. Some subjects include Jewish businesses, cemeteries, immigration, and group photographs depicting family, work, and religious life. Photographic prints of paintings and drawings as well as objects and documents and reproductions of drawings are also included in this series.
We are currently working on producing detailed lists of our People and Subject files in order to provide easier access to our General Photographs Collection for patrons who may need photographs for their books, articles, websites, films, and television productions.
Fees for Photographs & Digital Reproductions of Archival Materials
Permission to reproduce collection materials must be obtained in advance and paid for prior to usage. A Materials Release Form must be completed for photographs, images of archival documents, and audio and video files. Usage fees are assessed in addition to any digitization (scanning costs). These fees are assessed by the AJHS as the owner of the physical collection material. Please note usage fees are separate from copyright. The customer is responsible for securing copyright permissions. For more questions and information about copyright law go to http://www.copyright.gov/ and read http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf.
Usage: Still Photographs
|* Websites (300 DPI .jpeg)||$36 per image||$72 per image|
|* General Publications (600 DPI)||$75||$150|
Usage: Audio & Moving Image Files
- Non-Broadcast Educational: $12/per second
- Broadcast Non-profit: $15/per second
- Commercial: $40/per second
- Staff time is limited to 20 minutes per patron for reference questions.
- In-depth research is available for $50 per hour for individuals and institutions.
Photocopies & Digital Reproductions
- Photocopies are $0.50 per page plus postage.
- Digital reproductions are $1.00 per page.
- Photocopies and digital reproductions both include a labor service charge of $25 per hour, minimum charge of $12.50 (one ½ hour).
- Orders over 50 pages are subject to a 20% surcharge of the total cost.
- Orders over 100 pages are subject to a 25% surcharge of the total cost.
- Staff time is limited and requests are filled in the order they are received. Reproductions will be granted depending on size, format, and physical condition of the originals.
- Please allow 3-6 weeks for fulfillment from placement of order.